Call Us

(716) 592-2832

Medent Patient Portal for Springville Pediatrics like_us_on_facebook springville peds logo transparent rev May 2016

Call Poison Control

1-800-222-1222

The Poison Control Center is a poisoning emergency information service staffed by nurses, pharmacists and doctors.  They will answer your questions about what to do in the event of a poisoning, and can offer suggestions for the proper use and storage of pharmaceuticals and chemicals in the home.

 

All calls are free and completely confidential.

Square

Over-the-Counter Medications

For More Information

OTC, or over-the-counter medication can be just as dangerous as pharmaceuticals when used improperly.  Like other drugs, the color, odor and taste of these medications can sometimes encourage children to injest them.

Prevent

Treat

  • Keep all medication, even OTC medication, away from children in a locked cabinet.

 

  • Never leave medication in cups or dishes.  It makes them look like candy to curious children.

 

  • Keep all medications in their original packaging and make sure caps are closed tightly after each use.

 

  • Never call medication "candy".  It sends the wrong message to kids.

 

 

  • Keep a list of all medications you take and their dosage in the event of an accidental poisoning.

  • Call Poison Control Center immediately.  

 

  • DO NOT try to make the child vomit, or give anything by mouth to dilute it.

 

  • Make sure you have the exact name and dosage of the drug that was swallowed.

 

  • DO NOT give Syrup of Ipecac (to induce vomiting) unless and until you are directed to do so by the Poison Control Center.

 

  • If instructed to make child vomit, DO NOT use fingers or any other objects.  Syrup of Ipecac is the only safe method to do this.

patient-centered medical home logo Go Back to Poison Control Page