Call Us

(716) 592-2832

Medent Patient Portal for Springville Pediatrics like_us_on_facebook springville peds logo transparent rev May 2016

Plant Safety

Many seemingly harmless household and landscape plants are toxic, yet are attractive to curious children due to their bright flowers, shiny leaves and intriguing aromas.  Use this page as a guide to plant safety in and around your own home.

Call Poison Control

1-800-222-1222

The Poison Control Center is a poisoning emergency information service staffed by nurses, pharmacists and doctors.  They will answer your questions about what to do in the event of a poisoning, and can offer suggestions for the proper use and storage of pharmaceuticals and chemicals in the home.

 

All calls are free and completely confidential.

Square For More Information

Prevent

Treat

  • Never encourage children to eat unknown nuts, barries, plants or mushrooms.

 

  • Learn the names of plants in and around your home and yard. If you do not know the name of the plant, have it identified at a local nursery.

 

  • Always keep the information spike in any household plant you purchase.  This way you'll always know the  name of the plant in the event of an accidental injestion.

 

  • Keep all plants out of reach of children, as they present a choking hazard as well.

 

  • Consult a list of toxic plants, and eliminate from your home and yard if possible, replacing with safer alternatives.

  • ALWAYS call the Poison Control Center immediately if you suspect your child has injested any part of a plant.

 

  • Make sure you can identify the plant you suspect has been injested.

 

  • Carefully remove any part of the plant still remaining in the mouth.

 

  • DO NOT induce vomiting or give anything by mouth to dilute it unless told to do so by Poison Control.

 

  • If child is unconscious, convulsing, having difficulty breathing or swallowing, call 911 immediately.

patient-centered medical home logo Go Back to Poison Control Page