Call Us

(716) 592-2832

Medent Patient Portal for Springville Pediatrics like_us_on_facebook springville peds logo transparent rev May 2016
Square

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced when fuel is burned without enough oxygen.  It can cause symptoms such as nausea, fatigue, headaches, and if left unchanged, can lead to loss of consciousness, seizure or even death.

Call Poison Control

1-800-222-1222

The Poison Control Center is a poisoning emergency information service staffed by nurses, pharmacists and doctors.  They will answer your questions about what to do in the event of a poisoning, and can offer suggestions for the proper use and storage of pharmaceuticals and chemicals in the home.

 

All calls are free and completely confidential.

For More Information

Prevent

Treat

  • If you suspect CO poisoning, turn off all gas appliances and the furnace immediately, open the windows and get out of the home.  

 

  • Call the local fire department and ask them to come to your home to test for CO.  

 

  • If carbon monoxide is detected, repairs must be made before the home is safe to use again.  Keep all children out of the home until these repairs are finalized.

 

  • If child is having chest pain, shortness of breath or loss of consciousness, call 911 immediately.

 

  • Call Poison Control Center for additional questions and/or advice.

  • Have at least one carbon monoxide detector in the home.  Install it near the sleeping areas or close to the furnace.

 

  • Inspect your furnace, vents and chimney annually for blockages that may result in CO buildup.

 

  • Never run a vehicle in a cosed garage.

 

  • Never use a gas oven to heat a house or apartment.

 

  • Never burn charcoal inside.

 

  • Never use an unvented fuel-burning appliance in a house or apartment.

 

  • Check to make sure your gas stove and dryer is properly installed and there are no leaks.

patient-centered medical home logo Go Back to Poison Control Page