lead poisoning

Lead poisoning can result from being ingested or inhaled.  Doing so can hamper a child's development, or damage their kidneys and nervous system.  It is important to minimize the risks in your child's environment to protect them from this toxic substance.

Prevent

  • Eliminate peeling paint on walls, doors, cribs and exterior surfaces.  Lead-based paint is the primary source of lead contamination.

 

  • Encourage regular handwashing, especially before meals and after outdoor play.  Wash toys regularly as well.

 

  • Damp dust and wet mop floors and window sills to keep dust to a minimum.

 

  • Have your water tested and replace lead pipes with PVC or copper.

 

  • Never use imported pottery or lead glassware, which can leech lead into food or fluids.

 

  • Keep children away from home renovation activities.

 

  • Provide a well-balanced diet high in iron and calcium and encourage healthy snacks between meals.

Treat

  • If you suspect lead poisoning, call the Poison Control Center for advice.

 

  • Eliminate the source of lead from your child's environment by using the prevention tips to the left.

Call Poison Control

1-800-222-1222

The Poison Control Center is a poisoning emergency information service staffed by nurses, pharmacists and doctors.  They will answer your questions about what to do in the event of a poisoning, and can offer suggestions for the proper use and storage of pharmaceuticals and chemicals in the home.

All calls are free and completely confidential.