top of page

Over the counter


OTC, or over-the-counter medication, can be just as dangerous as pharmaceuticals when used improperly.  Like other drugs, the color, odor and taste of these medications can sometimes encourage children to ingest them.


  • Keep all medication, even OTC medication, away from children in a locked cabinet.


  • Never leave medication in cups or dishes.  It makes them look like candy to curious children.


  • Keep all medications in their original packaging and make sure caps are closed tightly after each use.


  • Never call medication "candy".  It sends the wrong message to kids.



  • Keep a list of all medications you take and their dosage in the event of an accidental poisoning.


  • Call Poison Control Center immediately.  


  • DO NOT try to make the child vomit, or give anything by mouth to dilute it.


  • Make sure you have the exact name and dosage of the drug that was swallowed.


  • DO NOT give Syrup of Ipecac (to induce vomiting) unless and until you are directed to do so by the Poison Control Center.


  • If instructed to make child vomit, DO NOT use fingers or any other objects.  Syrup of Ipecac is the only safe method to do this, but ONLY when directed to do so by your medical professional.

Call Poison Control


The Poison Control Center is a poisoning emergency information service staffed by nurses, pharmacists and doctors.  They will answer your questions about what to do in the event of a poisoning, and can offer suggestions for the proper use and storage of pharmaceuticals and chemicals in the home.

All calls are free and completely confidential.

bottom of page